It's time to throw out your "someday" clothes





Someday clothes are those clothes that so many of us hold on to for that day where we will be able to fit into them again. For certain times of our lives, this makes sense. And that time is basically when you are pregnant, and you hold on to clothes that you will be able to wear after you have your baby.

The rest of the time is just a harmful practice that we put on ourselves.

I remember buying a ridiculously expensive pair of short shorts from buckle when I was probably 16 or 17.  They were just a little to small for me to fit into comfortably, but I had decided that these would be my goal shorts. The shorts that I would wear when I had finally reached my "goal" weight.

While I did wear those shorts once or twice, I never comfortably fit into them. But I kept them around for the next five years. All because of "someday".  I never reached that someday, but I did get to feel guilt overtime I opened my pants drawer. Guilt that I had yet reached an attainable size that would allow me to wear those shorts sleekly, sexily, and without shame.

Oddly enough, what finally got me to throw them out was the book: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing. This book teaches the now-famous KonMari method for organizing. It's number one rule for throwing things out were the questions "Do I need it?" and "Does it bring me joy?". The first thing they recommend that you start on is (shockingly) clothes.  So I took all my clothes out of the closet, drawers, bags, boxes, and from under the bed and threw them all on the floor. And I went through them one, by one. Holding each item, and asking myself those two questions.

When I got to those shorts, I realized...finally...that they did NOT bring me joy. They brought me shame, embrassament, and a self-hatred against myself for not being a certain size. So I finally threw them in a bag, and dropped them off at GoodWill.

I have been thinking about clothes again lately, because my body is changing with my transition to intuitive eating (which is perfectly normal, natural, and not something to fear or be ashamed of).  So some of my pants are becoming a little snug, and I'm thinking about going and buying more pants but of the a bigger size so that I fit more comfortably in them. I used to have a bigger pair of pants but I threw them away during my last diet in the hopes that throwing them out would somehow prevent me from gaining weight and having to go buy more clothes. Of course, my closet is a perpetual nightmare of shit, so I might have some in there somewhere. I'll just have to take the time and actually go through my closet.

But, I digress. As I have pointed out before, Numbers Are Stupid. That fact is not just limited to the number on the scale, but the numbers on my clothes are stupid too. If you have ever purchased female centered clothes, you will know that the number sizes are based on freakin' blood magic and bullshit. I can easily wear a size 6 in Walmart brands, a 12 in Target brands, and then in 8 from mall stores. Despite knowing this for years, I have always shamed myself for having to wear "bigger" sizes. And I want to and need to move on from that. The size of my pants (or shirts, bras, whatever) have nothing to do with what kind of person I am, or what I can offer to the world, or other people. The size of my clothes only has an influence on my comfort throughout my day, and my ability to move my body.

I want to be comfortable in my clothes, be able to move how I want in my clothes, and most importantly they need to be able to be washed at home in a conventional washer and dryer.

So fuck whatever the tag on my clothes say. As long as I feel comfortable, sexy, and able to actually move my body then I will wear whatever damn well gives me those things.

Does this change your opinion on your "someday" clothes? How do you think they effect your life? Let me know in the comments below!

Comments

Popular Posts