My IUD experience & what you need to know



I've recently started taking Tributal for my bipolar disorder.  Tributal is traditionally an anti-seizure medication for epilepsy but can also be used to help manage bipolar disorder. This medication interferes with hormonal birth control, so the pill, the arm implant, even the shot.

Since my husband and I are not looking to have children right now, I had to talk to my OBGYN about my options.

And basically, an IUD was the only option (other than prayer). So I went and got an IUD and I wanted to share my story with you guys, along with information that I feel you should know if you are considering one.

First, I want to clarify why I chose to change my birth control instead of my medication.

Anyone who has taken any medication that alters your brain chemistry knows that it can be very difficult to find a medication or a combo that works for you.  So far tributal is working really well for me, so I instead of trying to change my mental medication, and potentially have to go through months or years of trying to find one that works well for me, I decided to stick to what was already working and just change my birth control.

That's one upside of the IUD is that since it is either no hormone or only localized hormones, is that it can work with many different medications.

Secondly, I AM NOT A MEDICAL DOCTOR. All of the information I am providing here is for informational purposes only.  All information is based on my own experience. You should talk to your doctor or other licensed professional before changing or stopping any medication.

So what is an IUD?

IUD stands for intrauterine device. It is a small piece of plastic that is placed in the uterus and can prevent pregnancy quite effectively between 3-10 years based on the brand.

There are two categories of IUD. Copper, and hormonal. The copper IUD is wrapped in a small amount of (you guessed it!) copper and is the longest lasting birth control method of all the IUDs. They can prevent pregnancy for up to ten years. Since sperm "doesn't like copper" this makes it almost impossible for the sperm to reach and fertilize the egg.

Can you hear the sperm screaming? 

Hormonal IUDs have a small amount of progestin that is localized to the uterus and can prevent pregnancy for 3-6 years based on the brand.  The progestin (a synthetic hormone similar to progesterone) works to prevent pregnancy by thicking the mucus on the cervix which traps and kills sperm and help to prevent the eggs from being released into the uterus.

An IUD is NOT a permanent birth control device and can be removed at ANY time. You can start trying to get pregnant immediately after the removal (though I sure doctors would appreciate you going home first, or at least the car).

How much does it cost? 

According to a doctors office that I spoke to, in Louisiana, an IUD can cost between $1300-$1800 without any insurance. And that is just the device, that does not include the doctor's visit.

On the bright side, most insurance plans do cover IUDs. What brands are covered may vary.  Usually your doctor will have their people contact your insurance and then tell you what your options are.

I am very privileged to have awesome insurance coverage through my husband on United Health Care. They cover all the IUD options 100%. So my overall cost was $30 for the office visit.

I decided to go with Skyla. Skla is a hormonal IUD that lasts for 3 years. I am sensitive to metals so I did not want to chance having a bad reaction to a copper IUD. And I feel like in 3 years my husband and I may be in a spot where we want to try having children. And if not, I can always get another one!

What leads up to getting an IUD?

First you go to your OBGYN and talk to them about your options. What they carry and what your insurance will cover.  Normally it may take them a day or two to find out what your insurance covers so normally this will not be done in the office visit.

Then you will have a regular gyno exam. Pap smear, breast exam, etc. They may or may not run an STD panel to make sure you do not have non-symptomatic STDs that could cause complications after insertion (my OBGYN did this, but I do not know if this is a standarized practice).

Afterwards you go home! No insertion on the first visit! Why? Cause you get to have it inserted on your period!


This is to make sure that you are absolutely not pregnant when they insert the IUD. Also, the cervical opening is a little bit bigger during your period. This helps ease insertion, especially if (like me) you have never had children before.

Normally the office will want you to call the office when you start your period and they will get you in within the week.

What happens on the big day?  

You will go to a regular OBGYN room, stirrups and all. But this time you only have to take of your pants and underwear, you get to keep your shirt.

The doctor and assistant will start prepping, normally cleaning the cervical opening, getting the duck lips ready, and talking you through the procedure.

Skyla was three steps. I have no idea if this is universal with the others or not. I would assume it is. But I do not know. But first step is instering the little tube that is gonna deliver that IUD to your uterus. For it to do that it has to go through your cervical opening. And it SUCKS. For me, it was a very sharp, sudden cramp, and it felt like some sort of electric wire was in my uterus. Everything tensed up, and it's the first time I ever said "fuck" in front of a doctor.

Then they pull the tube back so that the little arms on the top of the IUD can pop out into, making their little "T" formation. This lasted a little longer for me, it super hurt, and I definetly remember grinding my teeth.

Then they get to trim the strings that hang from the IUD into the top of your vagina. The cutting in and of itself does not hurt, but everything is still being held open and your uterus is still trying to figure out what in tarnation you just did to it.

Your uterus.

Then I HIGHLY suggest laying on that table for like five minutes. Typically the doctor and the assistant will leave you alone for a little bit. When you feel ready to sit up, sit up SLOWLY. Opening the cervix can put pressure on your vagus nerve which can cause you to feel dizzy.  So take your time. You may feel slightly nauseous, and you may feel super hot, and you may start sweating. If this happens just lay back down on the table. The assistant will always come by in a few minutes to make sure you are ok. But do NOT feel like you have to rush.

After that you are good to go. You can drive yourself home, workout, wear tampons, and even have sex if you so want.  Copper IUDs do not require any back up protection methods so you can get busy immediately.  If you use a hormonal IUD however, it is recommended that you use a back up birth control method for the first 7 days after insertion.

Typically you will have a follow up with your OBGYN in one month to check the placement.  Afterwards you have to check for your strings once a month. You don't have to pull them, just make sure you can feel them. If you do not feel them you should contact your doctor immediately.

Final Thoughts

I didn't think in a million years that an IUD would have been that high on the pain scale for me. From that alone, I do not know if I will ever get another one.  So I have three years to decide about that.

The plus side is that the pain is tempory, and the procedure is typically done in 5-10 minutes.

Afterwards, there are no daily pills to take, no ring to fish out once a month, and in some cases of hormonal IUDs your periods may stop enteriely around the one year mark.

My tips:

Try to not eat immediately before you go. Give your stomach at least an hour to settle from eating before your appointment.

Take some ibuprofen, or some sort of mild pain killer, because I really wish that I had.

Wear comfy pants.

When you go home, just chill. Take a nap, read a book, take a bath.  Give yourself some pampering time.

Remember this is a personal decision, and as always you should talk to the appropriate people in your life about this decision.  While the pain is definelty up there, there are also really huge pluses about the IUD.  I don't have to worry about medication or antibiotics effecting it, and no daily pills, and if I do want to have kids, I can start immediately trying after it is removed.

What are your thoughts on IUDs? I would love to hear your thoughts, so make sure to leave me a comment!

XO Amy




Comments

Popular Posts